Santa Rita Hills

2014 Lafond Vineyard Syrah
The Santa Rita Hills is a small appellation at the western end of the Santa Ynez Valley that has gained national recognition for its Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Syrah.

The Valley runs west to east permitting the late afternoon ocean fog to roll into the Santa Rita Hills, where it lingers until early morning. The surrounding hills trap the fog before it is dissipated in the wider Santa Ynez Valley.

In the spring when frost is our biggest concern a layer of fog over the vineyard can provide protection. In the summer the fog moderates the normally warm days of the valley, cooling the grapes at night. Warm days and cool nights are what gives our Santa Rita Hills Syrah its spicey rich complex flavors.

Our grapes are picked at night so that when they are processed in the morning the temperature in the fermenters can be quickly dropped allowing the maximum extraction of flavor.

Winemaker's Comments: 60% of this wine came from vines grafted to Chenin Blanc rootstock, in the 1990s, that were initially planted in 1972. The 42 year old roots gives us the overtly cool climate white pepper spice while the remaining 40%, from the warmest site in the Lafond Vineyard, gives us a fleshier riper dark fruit expression of cool climate grapes.

Gold Medal 2018 Monterey Wine Competition
Best of Class 2018 California State Fair
Gold Medal 2018 Tasters Guild
Platinum Medal 2018 San Diego Wine Competition
Gold Medal Best of Class 2018 Miami

Suggested Retail: 40.00

2014 Lafond Vineyard Syrah 40.00

Stats and images as 300dpi pdf files:

Statistics  |  Bottle  |  Bottle+glass  |  Label




HARVEST
Dates: Oct.
3-14, 2014
Sugar: 2
5.1 Brix

VINEYARDS
100% Lafond
Santa Rita Hills

WINE
10 Barrels
30% new French Oak
14 months in Barrel
Total Acid: .69
pH: 3.37
Alcohol: 14.8%
Sugar: Dry

Date Bottled: February 4, 2016

Cases produced: 229